Gary started his professional career in 1979 with the firm of Heidt Evans Salata Architects in Partnership, spending more than 18 years with the firm and its succeeding firm, Evans Salata Architects. In 1997, Evans Salata Architects was purchased by the Oil City based firm of Strickland Best Architects, eventually forming into Evans Strickland Best Architects.
It was during this latest transformation that Gary decided to strike out on his own and began his career in private practice.
Since then, Gary is proud to pronounce his respect for the principals of his prior employment, for it is assimilation of their knowledge and experiences together that he develops designs and solutions to projects and problems with confidence.
Since 1997, over 700 projects, large and small, have received Gary's personal attention to detail and are successfully completed. Representative projects include:
- Fairview Township Building
- Romolo Chocolates
- Lake Erie Speedway
- Peninsula Plaza
- Snap-Tite Corporate Headquarters
- 1997 – Present Gary Matczak Architects
- 1979-1997 Heidt Evans Salata, Evans/Salata Architects
- Registered Architect – Pennsylvania 1997, New York 2006
- American Institute of Architects
- AIA Pennsylvania, State President 2013
- AIA Northwestern Pennsylvania State Director 2007-Present
- UCC Building Code Appeals Board, Vice Chairman 2004-Present
- Erie Civic Theater Association (Erie Playhouse), Board Member
- Erie Thunderbirds, Secretary, Business Manager
- PADC Hall of Fame, Vice Chairman
- Lake Erie Fanfare, Board Member
- Erie Jaycees (President 1993)